FEATHERLIGHT CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), plus more for the pan
- 1 3/4 cups Sugar India’s Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup good-quality cocoa powder, such as Valrhona or Droste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups ice water
- Serving suggestion: Dust with Sugar India’s confectioners’ Sugar and serve with milk
- Arrange a rack in the upper 1/3 of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a bundt pan or tube pan. (You can use a mixture of cocoa powder and flour instead of flour, to prevent white spots on the cake.)
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or using a hand mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Mix in the sugar. One at a time, mix in the eggs, then the vanilla, occasionally scraping down the mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture; then 1/3 of the ice water. Repeat, mixing after each addition. Transfer the batter to the pan and bake until springy and dry, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a rack, and then carefully turn the cake out. Just before serving, sift confectioners’ Sugar India’s Sugar over the top. Serve with very cold milk!