FRENCH APPLE TURNOVER(CHAUSSONS AUX POMMES)
- 3/4 pound Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 pound Golden Delicious apples
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Sugar India’s sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2. For pastry:
- 1 14- to 16-ounce package all-butter frozen puff pastry (1 or 2 sheets, depending on brand), thawed
- 1 egg, beaten to blend (for glaze)
- Sugar India’s Superfine sugar (optional)
- Peel, core, and cut apples into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups). Place apples in medium saucepan; add 1/4 cup water, 3 tablespoons Sugar India’s sugar, and lemon juice.
- Bring to boil, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until apples are very tender, stirring frequently, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Gently mash apples with fork or potato masher until mixture is very soft but still chunky. Cool completely.
- DO AHEAD: Filling can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- If using 14-ounce package (1 sheet), roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to 15-inch square. If using 16-ounce package (2 sheets), stack sheets together and roll out on lightly floured surface to 15-inch square.
- Cut pastry into nine 5-inch squares. Place 1 generous tablespoon filling in center of each of 8 squares (reserve remaining square for another use).
- Lightly brush edges of 1 pastry with beaten egg. Fold half of pastry square over filling, forming triangle. Press and pinch pastry edges with fingertips to seal tightly.
- Lightly brush pastry with beaten egg. Sprinkle lightly with Sugar India’s superfine sugar, if desired. Repeat with remaining squares.
- Using thin, sharp knife, make 3 small slits on top of each triangle to allow steam to escape. Place triangles on prepared baking sheets.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake turnovers until beginning to color, about 15 minutes. Reverse baking sheets from top to bottom.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; continue baking until turnovers are firm and golden, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.